Getting the Edge
There has ben a lot of discussion on the comments section about the options available to back the campaign for The Ubuntu Edge. This page has been created to provide some basic information on how to back the Edge campaign.
The first point to clarify is that, at the time of writing this (3rd August 2013), all payments to the campaign have to be made via PayPal, though you do NOT need to open a PayPal account for the Founder perks. This is because, being a Fixed Funding campaign, Indiegogo restricts payment(s') options to PayPal ONLY.
The second point to clarify follows on from the one above. PayPal restricts any payments made from your PayPal account to $500 (or your local currency equivalent) for accounts that have not been verified (read the PayPal Verification FAQ). Because the phone perks are in excess of the $500 limit, you will have to open an account with PayPal and have it verified UNLESS you wish to back the campaign with the Founder and / or Founder with style perks, in which case read 2 below.
There have also been questions as to whether splitting a payment for the Edge into two payments in order to avoid the $500 transaction limit set by PayPal for a non-verified account or credit card payment is a work-around to getting a PayPal account. This in theory is possible, however, Canonical have NOT confirmed whether both transactions will and / or can be tallied. As such, we dissuade you from applying this method to circumvent opening a PayPal account.
The third point is that you CAN still back the campaign WITHOUT giving PayPal your credit card details. The steps below explain the two options available.
PayPal's verification process can take a couple of weeks. Please do not delay opening your account and starting the verification process as soon as possible.
If you choose this option, remember that you will STILL need to verify your PayPal account
1. Making a payment via PayPal without giving your credit card information.
- Log in to your PayPal account.
- Click Add Funds near the top of the page.
- Choose to move money to your PayPal account yourself.
- Under 'You move money from your bank account', click Continue
- Make a note of the payment details and log in to your online banking (or visit your bank in person) to make a payment to your PayPal account
- Your money will arrive in your PayPal account within a 1-5 days. We'll email you when it arrives
The information above is taken from the PayPal Help Center
Avoiding PayPal's high FX Rates
If your home currency is not USD, you can avoid the high FX rates applied by PayPal by selecting the option to be billed in the currency listed on the seller's invoice, thereby enabling your bank / credit card to do the currency conversion for the transaction.
Please be aware that this will only save you money IF your bank / credit card offer better rates than PayPal.
As noted above, this option will only be available IF you are backing the Founder perks only
2. How to Contribute via PayPal without a PayPal Account
You can contribute to a campaign via PayPal, even if you do not have a PayPal account. Use your credit card to "Pay as a Guest" without signing in:
- When you get to the PayPal screen, you'll see up top "Choose a Way to Pay"
- Select the second option: "Pay with a debit or credit card"
- Complete the form - PayPal accepts Visa, MasterCard, Discover, and American Express
- Deselect the checkbox that says: "Save this information with a PayPal account"
- Click "Review and Continue" to continue with a payment using a credit card
- Click on the "Continue Without Logging In" link
The information above is taken from the Indiegogo help sections
NOTE 1: You can contribute to the campaign's Founder, Founder with style and Forgot International shipping perks WITHOUT a PayPal Account.
NOTE 2: You MUST open / have a verified PayPal account to contribute to all other perks, more importantly, to receive The Edge.